Monday, February 06, 2012

On Gender And Babies




Do you differentiate between "girl" toys and "boy" toys?  My daughter loves trains and cars.  A stuffed Spiderman is among her favourite toys.  She loves dragons and spaceships.  She also enjoys dolls, skirts and Tinkerbell.  We've given her options and she gravitates towards whatever she likes.  We do the same with our son.  My daughter has already "loaned" him a pink and purple cabbage patch doll.  Right now, he likes to chew on the face...  I wouldn't take it away from him just because it's pink.

There are some parents who have said to me, oh sorry, your daughter won't have anything to play with because I only have boy toys.  Really?  My daughter won't want to play with any of the same things as your son?  Not one thing?  I mean, I don't think we should be as crazy as that lady in The Toronto Star article from last year.  But I also don't think we should draw a line with girl stuff on one side and boy stuff on the other.

My hubby pointed out that we don't live in the city.  Well, we don't live in the boonies either.  Besides, that shouldn't even matter.  This is the twenty-first century!  Small town or city dweller, it shouldn’t matter what toys your child likes.  All that matters is that they’re happy and healthy.

*Imagine me saying this, more or less, in a rant to my husband as he’s doing the dishes, our 7-month-old son is playing with his feet and our 2 ½ year old daughter is pushing a musical train around her little brother. *

No comments:

Post a Comment