Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Way Station

The Battle of Tull left me really wanting to read the next Dark Tower graphic novel installment, The Gunslinger - The Way Station. What struck me first about this volume was the art.  The drawings of the demon in the circle of stones were amazing. The use of light and colour were different from the rest of the graphic novel and most of the series.  The series tends toward being dark, which is appropriate to where the characters are going and what has happened.  There tends to be a lot of dark reds and oranges.  The cover of The Way Station is very blue, which I really liked.

Also, I was excited to finally see Jake.  Jake plays such an important role in Roland's story.  It's so interesting to see a boy from 1977 New York interacting with Gilead's last gunslinger.  The readers understand his references, but Roland tells Jake that he speaks strangely.  Jake is one of my favourite characters in the novels and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment