Monday, March 28, 2016

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

I have to be honest. I enjoyed Batman V Superman. I know that critics have definitely not liked it. It's not a short movie and there is a lot of fighting. But I thought Batman V Superman kept the story moving and kept the audience engaged. It was entertaining and I definitely did not feel the length the way I did with Man of Steel. Henry Cavill was a good Superman. Ben Affleck was a good Batman too. Gal Gadot was a good Wonder Woman. She might have been the highlight of the movie for me. She was tough, definitely a warrior, with her own story to tell. I'm looking forward to the Wonder Woman movie.

Was the movie perfect? No, but most movies aren't. I don't think people should go in expecting a Marvel movie. This is DC/Warner Bros. playing catch up. They want to create there own superhero universe. The way they introduced some of the other characters though, I thought was really good. It didn't take up a lot of story time and I think it kept the movie from being too crowded. It also gave us a hint of what's to come. Honestly, the hints we got of Aquaman and Cyborg were clever, just a taste, but intriguing. I feel like I'm going to enjoy the Flash. I love Grant Gustin's Flash on TV, so the new guy has big shoes to fill, but those images of him and the Batman thing, I thought was good. I know like a lot of people, I wasn't a fan of casting Ben Affleck as Batman, especially after Christian Bale, but I think he did a good job. He was brooding when he was supposed to be, he showed caring for his people and some charm around the ladies. He isn't a young Batman either, Alfred says that he got too old to die young. He has armour to support his continued fighting and he has grey hair. All good choices for the role.

I have never seen such a big difference on Rotten Tomatoes between critics and audiences. What did the critics expect? What did anyone expect? The fighting was good. The effects were good. The use of 3D during the Wayne sequence at the beginning was well done. The 3D overall could have been used better, but I've had that complaint with every movie except Star Trek: Into Darkness, so whatever. I liked the foundation created for Bruce and Diana's relationship. I liked the hints from Luthor about what's to come. Lex Luthor is the catalist for the future. He gathered the files. He was on the ship. I wonder what he'll be up to next.

I  feel like I'm defending the movie. I've read so many bad reviews that I think are just nit-picking and snarky. I think word-of-mouth is going to work just fine for Batman V Superman. Even with critics hating the movie, it still made over $400 million on the weekend. I've talked to enough regular people who feel the same way me and my Hubby do, so I think the DC Universe will do just fine. I was not disappointed with the movie and I am looking forward to more DC comic book heroes being brought to the big screen.


3 comments:

  1. It's not the best movie ever and there are some plot holes, but I was entertained and I think it's worth it to see it on the big screen. Honestly, I think the critics are being too hard on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I've seen it, I 100% agree with you!

    ReplyDelete