Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Beautiful Lies

Emilie Richards’ Beautiful Lies is categorized as a romance novel. I don’t usually read romance novels. This one was given to me as a gift. I was in the mood for something lighter; since this has been sitting on my shelf for five years, I figured now would be a good time to pick it up. It was definitely not was I expected and I’m not sure if that was a good thing.

I expected this ‘romance novel’ to contain, honestly, more sex. On rare occasions, I have read other romance novels. From those three or four, there is usually a lot more sex scenes (of varying degrees) mixed in with some kind of adventure. The characters in Beautiful Lies had sex, but after the kissing and a little groping, the reader was left behind.

Is that why I found the book a bit boring? Perhaps. The story was fairly interesting. A twist on the star-crossed lovers. Not predictable. But everything just sort of happened. The events were described in great detail, but you didn’t really feel like you were there, as with many other stories I’ve read.

Maybe a little raunch would have balanced things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment