Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Maybe I'm Not A Light & Fun Reader


This week I found the Broke and The Bookish's top ten topic more difficult than usual.  Apparently, I don't read a whole lot of "Light and Fun" type stories.  There are a few though.  Let's see if I can make it to ten.

1. Anything by Jane Austen - They're classic, but they're romantic.
2. The Shopaholic Series/Anything by Sophie Kinsella - Kinsella's books are hilarious and my go-to read when I want something light.
3. The Undead Series, by MaryJanice Davidson - Undead might be about vampires, but Queen Betsy is hilarious.  I have to catch up on this series.
4. The Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse series, by Charlaine Harris - I started this series when I needed something light to read.  There's a fair bit of violence and sex, but whatever, it was light for me.
5. The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices series, by Cassandra Clare - I've read the first three books in The Mortal Instruments series and I found them quick, fun reads.  Maybe not light?  Again, a fair bit of violence in these books.  

So, not even close to ten...  I find a lot of the Young Adult Dystopian series I've read in the past couple years "fun", in that they are quick and enjoyable reads, but they deal with some heavy/dark subjects and I don't know that they qualify for this list. Even some of the series I have up there might not really be what the topic intends.  I guess I'm not really into "light" books.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll discover some this week looking at everyone's lists.  Any recommendations?


20 comments:

  1. I love Sophie Kinsella. The Shopaholic series is fun. And you can never go wrong with Jane Austen. Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to read some Austen and Kinsella this summer.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had a similar problem coming up with light and fun books. I loved the MI series. I will have to try reading one of the Sookie books. A girl I work with just read a few and enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the Sookie books. The first one is good, but it's the second that got me hooked.

      Delete
  3. I have noticed that a lot of us had a hard time with this list! Made me realized I need to pick up some lighter books! I just read I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella and I really loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe my idea of light and fun are just different from other peoples?

      I recommend ALL of Kinsella's books. I haven't read one I didn't enjoy, though I haven't read I've Got Your Number yet.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7/5/13 11:40

    Sophie Kinsella is fabulous! I need to read some more lighter books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to read some lighter books this summer...

      Delete
  5. I had trouble coming up with light & fun reads that didn't have some weird dark/heavy edge to them. Of course as I read through other people's lists I realize "crap I forgot that one. And that one. and that one." If there's one light fluffy read I'd recommend (and that I sadly forgot to include on my list) it's Attachments by Rainbow Rowell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen you mention Attachments before... I'll put it on my to-read list.

      I didn't realize how little "light and fun" stuff I read until I did this list.

      Delete
  6. I really want to read something by Sophie Kinsella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Shopaholic series is hilarious. I also really enjoyed The Undomestic Goddess and Remember Me?

      Delete
  7. Nice list, I quite enjoyed Clare's books as well.

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't finished Clare's series yet. I think I'm going to read them this summer.

      Delete
  8. Great list. I am not that into light and fun either apparently. I had to skip this week. My tastes have changed throughout the years for sure. A couple of years ago, all I read was light and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost skipped this week too. I don't know if I've ever been into "light and fun". I've discovered a few books this week I might try though.

      Delete
  9. I definitely could have added the Sookie Stackhouse books to my list, but never thought about it.

    And you're right, just like myself, you had a hard time coming up with anything light and fun. I usually stick to darker reads because they're much more interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, in general, I find "darker" reads more interesting. I only read a handful of "fun" books a year, just to break things up a bit.

      Delete
  10. This is a great list! I have Sophie Kinsella and the Sookie Stackhouse series on my list as well.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Making this list has made me want to read some Sophie Kinsella soon.

      Delete