Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Battle Of Tull

The Battle of Tull was just what I needed. I've been feeling a bit discouraged or maybe frustrated in my reading choices of late, for various reasons. I needed something that I was confident that I would enjoy.  Of course, that would be the next Dark Tower graphic novel.  With The Battle of Tull , the graphic novels have brought us full circle in Stephen King's series. The graphic novel stayed mostly true to the novel, The Gunslinger. Robin Furth, the adapter, took some artistic liberties.  There's a flashback moment for Roland, where he remembers his lost love, a lost love I'm pretty sure Stephen King didn't invent until book four.  I thought the addition was nice though, it connected the graphic novels as a series on its own and to the novels that came before. Though, I've been doing some reading and maybe what I think are "artistic liberties" are actually the changes King made to The Gunslinger in the Revised Edition. I read the original novel written by King in 1982. In 2003 King published a new edition changing a few things. I knew this, but I don't know what he changed exactly. Maybe I should read the new version of the novel?  The Battle of Tull was a great addition to the series and it's made me excited to read the next in the series, The Way Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment