Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Before I Re-Read Lives of Girls and Women

For the Classics Club Spin, the randomly generated number decided I was reading Lives of Girls and Women, a modern and Canadian classic that I love. I first read it probably thirteen years ago (yikes!)  It cemented me as a lifelong Alice Munro fan and I've since read several of her works, though not all of them. The goal of the Spin is to have the book read and the post ready to go up on April 2nd.  I was so excited though, that I immediately went to the shelf, just so I could look at the book.  What was the first thing I noticed?  Bright pink Post-its.

I read Lives of Girls and Women for a Canadian Literature class back in University.  It was a wonderful, amazing class and I read some amazing literature.  I don't remember if I wrote an essay or anything about Lives of Girls and Women, but from the quantity of Post-its, I thought it was important that I keep notes.  I haven't looked at any of the notes yet.  I'm not sure I want to.  This isn't the first book I've ever re-read.  It is not even the first that I've found a little note I made in the book.  This is the first time I've picked a book to re-read and it is FULL of notes.  What I'm wondering is, how will this affect my reading of the story.  Will I let my old thoughts influence my new thoughts?  Will I wonder, what was I thinking, oh so long ago?  More than just my love of the story itself, these notes have me excited to re-read Lives of Girls and Women.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Finding old notes while re-reading a book?

Side Note: This is probably why I haven't re-read The Handmaid's Tale

No comments:

Post a Comment