Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Me, Myself and Why?

I don't know exactly how I feel about Me, Myself and Why? It was an interesting book, full of bizarre and unique characters. I really couldn't put it down. It was unlike any book I think I've ever read before. The main character was all over the place in a "multiple personality disorder" kind of way, but that is sort of the plot of the book. Really though, everyone was weird. Not just the people at BOFFO (the super secret division of the FBI that employs crazy people), but the supposedly normal people in Cadence's life.

I picked up me myself and why along time ago because it's written by MaryJanice Davidson. I love Davidson's Undead books and have been reading them for years, though I've fallen behind. So, when I see something else written by her, I snap it up. I've been slowly picking up the Cadence Jones series and now that I have all the books, I thought I aught to read them. I wasn't disappointed either. Me Myself and Why? was definitely the style I've come to recognize from Davidson, without making Cadence sound like Betsy. Cadence, Shiro and Adrienne are distinct and I think that must have taken some work.

I'm not totally happy with the ending. While the story concludes, it has definitely left threads hanging. While the end wasn't a cliffhanger, it left too much open, unlike other series books I've read from Davidson. Usually I get more satisfying endings. That definitely hasn't put me off the books though, especially when they're so easily accessible.

You know when you're reading something with a mystery, and you're trying to figure out who the bad guy is? Well I kind of figured it out and I kind of didn't.  I don't want to give away the ending, because I think it was a unique way to call attention back to the main character, without it being obvious until it was revealed, because then it was kind of obvious. So, that final part of the mystery I really liked, I called it, but I didn't. With those kinds of twists, I'm looking forward to reading more about Cadence Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment