Thursday, April 12, 2018

International Day of Pink

Yesterday was Pink Day and my children’s school encouraged everyone to wear pink. They sent out an email reminding us about the International Day of Pink and what it means. So, of course, someone laughed at my son for wearing pink on Pink Day. I’ve used this extra day to quell my rage. I called my husband to let him know; he called the school and talked to my son’s teacher. She said that 75% of the class wore pink. She was sad to hear that another student laughed at the boys who wore pink. These children are 6 and 7.

Part of me feels bad. He didn’t want to wear pink. He wouldn’t tell us why, but we could guess. He owns 2 pink polo shirts, which I bought because he went through a faze of loving both polo shirts and pink. Then something happened last year and he stopped wearing them. When we asked why, he wouldn’t tell us. But like I said, we could guess.

It just makes me so sad. My 6-year-old son can’t wear a shirt and colour he loved because he is afraid that someone will make fun of him. We all wore pink yesterday. 3/4 of his class wore pink. But the voice he remembered was the one laughing at him. It makes me want to cry. I’m so sad for him and also for this other boy whose parents are holding him back.

I'm not really sure what else to say. I'm sad. I'm worried. I'm concerned. I am glad though, that his teacher is being supportive and seems to be doing her best to make sure that my son and all the students in the class understand what the International Day of Pink is supposed to be about.

No comments:

Post a Comment