It's time for the Classics Club Spin! This will be the fourth or fifth time I've participated. This is how it works:
- Pick twenty books that you have left to read from your Classics Club List.
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday, August 11th.
- Monday morning, the Club will announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by October 6, even if it’s one you dread reading!
I've decided to change the way I make my list. Previously, I filled certain categories. This time, I'm using Random.org to give me a list of twenty from my remaining books. Here goes!
1. Discourse on Method, by Rene Descartes
2. Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain
3. The Wings of the Dove, by Henry James
4. Three Series, Complete, by Emily Dickinson
5. Death of a Salesman, by Arthur Miller
6. The House of Mirth, by Edith Wharton
7. A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway
8. Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson
9. Dracula's Guest, by Bram Stoker
11. The Weapons Shop, by A.E. van Vogt
12. Northhanger Abbey, by Jane Austen
13. Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
14. Daisy Miller, by Henry James
15. Stories, by Hans Christian Andersen
16. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, by Tom Stoppard
17. Animal Farm, by George Orwell
18. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
19. The Waves, by Virginia Woolf
20. Lyrical Ballads, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth
I think Random.org gave me an interesting mix. There are a couple I was planning on reading soon anyway, some I've been avoiding. One I was thinking of taking off my list because I can't get into it. I have mixed feelings about the poetry. I've already started Dickinson's work, but was taking it slow, as there a lot of poems and I don't know if I'll want to rush it. My intention was to read the Lyrical Ballads in the same way. We'll see what happens if one of those numbers come up. I'm excited for Monday!