Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Boo! Top Ten Books To Get In The Halloween Spirit
What books get you in the Halloween spirit? The Broke and The Bookish want to know (and so do I!) I think the three horror classics are a must for lovers of the genre (Dracula, Frankenstein and Jekyl and Hyde), but there are others that have a pretty big and/or fun creep factor (Stephen King, anyone?). Here are my top ten books to get into the Halloween spirit, in no particular order.
1. Dracula, by Bram Stoker
2. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley
3. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
4. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson
5. Nightmares and Dreamscapes, by Stephen King
6. The Island of Dr. Moreau, by H.G. Wells
7. Night of the Living Trekkies, by Kevin David Anderson and Sam Stahl (This one is a bit of a cheat. I haven't read it yet, but I plan on it to get in the Halloween Spirit.)
8. The Vampire Lestat, by Anne Rice
9. The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova
10.Almost any horror novel with Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves or Witches... or maniacal Clowns.
I limited myself to one Stephen King book, not one of his most famous, but still a creepshow. Also, I think being a Grahame-Smith regency zombie would be a great costume! I know that Lestat is Rice's second vampire book, but I like it better. What gets you in the mood for Halloween?