Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Dead Ever After



I love the last line of Dead Ever After. (I'll try not to be spoilery, but there might be some vague ones...) Thirteen books later, I think Sookie has learned who she is and what she is capable of. She isn't searching for someone or something. She is happy with the person she is. I don't think that it's about who Sookie ends up with, though I like the man and I totally expected it. I think the series has been Sookie's journey to herself. It is her over coming her perceived disability and becoming strong and independent. She's beyond needing a man. Having one is nice, but she isn't going to let it define her.

Dead Ever After was fun and entertaining. It had a mystery to solve, which I've always liked about the Sookie Stackhouse books. We had an appearance by every man in the series that Sookie had been involved with, which I think was very exciting and appropriate as this was the final novel. I loved Karin; if they thought about it too much, I think she and Pam would turn Sookie because they'd want her as a friend forever.  I also think Karin might have found someone nice in Sookie's woods. I was excited to see all of Sookie's friends, her houseguests. I really thought the courthouse scene made her see herself more as others see her.

Charlaine Harris's dedication was to her fans. It was nice, but also like a pre-apology for what was to come in the story, because she knew not everyone would be happy. In her acknowledgements she also mentioned her fans and said that she's always given her best and tried to create the best works possible. It seemed really genuine to me. I know there's been a lot of hate going on for the last few books and I admit the last three (especially book 11) weren't as good as the others.  I also heard about the spoilers posted for this one (which, if you post spoilers, how about spoiler warnings or hiding your spoiler-filled Goodreads review, because those are supposed to be the rules.  I wasn't trying to find spoilers.) I just started the book feeling bad for the author. I don't know if people are going to agree with me, but this is my opinion and everyone is allowed to have an opinion.  I guess I'm surprised by the amount of hate for a book that a lot of people haven't read, that started months before it was even released.

I was satisfied with the end to Sookie's story.  Not everything/everyone was tied up, but I think that's what After Dead is for.  If it's a coda or appendix or short story collection, I think I'll like it....  I thought Dead Ever After was an entertaining final novel.  Sookie Stackhouse had her ups and downs, but it was fun.  I'm glad I picked up the first book and continued on through all thirteen.


No comments:

Post a Comment