Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thor (3D)


It’s been a while since I did a movie review. Probably because I rarely go out to the movies anymore… Thor was a movie I didn’t want to miss. I’ve really enjoyed most of the Marvel Comic movies and Thor was no exception. Unlike most of the other superhero films, I didn’t know much about Thor going in, I think just the basics. That definitely did not take away from how fantastic the movie was.

Thor is a great superhero action movie. I think the plot was well thought out, the dialogue was great. There were moments of intelligence, seriousness and humour. There were also some great actors in the movie that I was surprised and happy to see. Thor was exciting and the 3D was worth the extra few dollars (for a change).

I loved Natalie Portman as Jane Foster. I know there might be some comic fans unhappy about the switch in profession. Originally, Jane was a nurse (something I only recently learned; in the newest Avengers cartoon she’s a paramedic). In later comics, she’s a doctor, who’s in charge of various staff (changing with the times, I suppose). In the movie, Jane is an astrophysicist trying to learn the reason for the disturbances in the night sky. Of course, these problems are a sign of problems in Asgard. I like that they made Jane an astrophysicist. I don’t know exactly how else she would have come into contact with Thor, since they almost entirely eliminated his “Donald Blake” secret identity. I hope the comic fans don’t hate me for saying that. Maybe because of the change in profession, we’ll see more of Jane as she works with SHIELD and possibly in the Avengers movie (or that could be wishful thinking on my part).

I also really like our first peek at Clint Barton/Hawkeye. He’s a SHIELD agent with attitude!

Thor is hopefully the first in a summer full of great and exciting heroes.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous15/5/11 08:27

    I enjoyed your review of Thor! My husband and I loved it -- nice to see a superhero movie with an interesting story and good acting. My favorite thing -- aside from Thor himself -- was how much attention Branagh paid to the mythology. I don't know the comics but my husband loved them as a boy and he really loved this movie.

    ReplyDelete