Wednesday, May 18, 2011

In The Skin Of A Lion

I adore Patrick Lewis as a main character. He’s so multi-dimensional and intriguing. I can never guess what he’s going to do next. All the people we meet in this story are held together by Patrick, or rather, their influence is felt by Patrick, making him turn left instead of right. I also think that many of his problems stem from first, the death of his father and second, his relationship with Clara. Of course, if neither of those things happened he wouldn’t be such a great character and this wouldn’t be such a fantastic story.

In The Skin Of A Lion is the second novel by Canadian writer Michael Ondaatje, originally published in 1987. I first read this novel about nine years ago and it became one of my favourites. It was for a 20th Century Canadian Literature class I was taking, where I read some really amazing books. Now, almost a decade later, I’ve read each of Michael Ondaatje’s novels and though I’ve enjoyed them, his first two are still my favourites.

I also don’t usually reread novels. I have felt that there are so many good books out there that I should be getting through my ever growing library. After reading some great bloggers and talking with some bookish friends, I’ve decided to reevaluate that stance. Though In The Skin Of A Lion had become one of my favourite books, I had a difficult time remembering details of the plot and all the characters. It all came back to me in my second reading and though I’ve read many books in between the first and second reading, In The Skin Of A Lion still reaches me and I think will stay with me more than before.

I love that this is a story takes place in a city I know. The main setting is Toronto, during the 1930s and I get to read about familiar landmarks being built, like the Bloor Street Viaduct. Ondaatje takes real events and weaves the fictional life of Patrick Lewis into them. It is brilliant and detailed. I also enjoy that a large part of the plot is the plight of immigrant workers, they were paid very little for dangerous work and were often not credited for the work they did. Patrick’s third meeting with Alice takes place at a rally, which different groups of immigrants hold in order to discuss their plight. Though born in Ontario, Patrick and Alice identify with the immigrants and live among them.

In The Skin Of A Lion has been described as post-modern, and in my opinion it is. I know that can put some people off. Don’t let it. This is a great novel with an incredible cast of characters. I’ve been focusing a lot of character development lately and this novel is a great example of how even secondary and minor characters can grow and change over the course of a novel. In The Skin Of A Lion remains one of my favourites.

9 comments:

  1. You have just made my day. I've been asking for book suggestions on my blog and one of the categories that no one seemed to have any recommendations for was Canadian authors. And now I've found one. So thank you! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ondaatje is one of my favorite authors and reading your review makes me want to read the book again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to reread my favourite books (without making myself feel guilty for it), and I usually get so much more out of the second reading. Sounds like it was a bit like that for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gabriel, Ondaatje is definitely one of my favourites. If you're interested in other Canadian authors, I'm also a big Margaret Atwood fan.

    Stephanie, I'm so glad I re-read this book!

    Tiny, I know when I picked up this book, I was thinking, oh, I should be reading one of these other wonderful books staring at me, but it was totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe if I had the Toronto connection I'd have appreciated the story more. As it is, I really, really didn't like the book and with two Ondaatje books under my belt that I didn't care for (hated actually), I'm effectively off his writing forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, I know that Ondaatje's an acquired taste. I actually didn't really like his last book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book as well, coming off a previous Ondaatje book that I didn't like at all. I had to read it for a course and was kind of dreading it, but it turned out to be pretty awesome. Glad you really liked it, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read anything by Ondaatje, although I have Divisadero on my shelves. Hav you read it? You definitely tempted me with The Skin of a Lion...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Em, I read Divisadero just over a year ago. It's probably the novel of his I like least. I hope that doesn't put you off reading it. For a first venture into Ondaatje, I would have suggested either In The Skin of A Lion or Coming Through Slaughter.

    ReplyDelete