Wednesday, July 04, 2012

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)



I just finished devouring City of Bones.  Cassandra Clare’s first book in her The Mortal Instruments series was addictive.  City of Bones gave me just the distraction I needed.  It was easy to get lost in the world of Clary, Jace and the Shadowhunters.
(Some vague spoilers.) 

At first, I thought the book was going to be predictable.  I saw the love triangle/square coming.  I figured out who Clary’s real father was as soon as his name was mentioned.  I knew what Hodge was going to do.  This was all in the first third to half of the book.  The writing was still engaging and I was enjoying the novel, I just had most of it worked out in my head.

There were some things I didn’t predict.  I kept trying to figure out Jace’s parental situation, thinking, no way is Clare going to do THAT.  I didn’t guess about Alec either.  I actually really liked that part of the story.  It was refreshing and unique in the Young Adult novels I’ve read.  The second half of the book really took the story above my expectations.

Unlike most people I’ve talked to, the book cover of City of Bones threw me off.  I’m not a huge fan of naked body parts on book covers.  It seems cheesy to me.  It had all this glowy stuff around who I assume is Jace.  Plus all the hype around the book and people just swooning and the quote on the cover, all served to make me want to skip The Mortal Instruments series.  I finally decided it was worth my time when a friend described it to me as a sort of cross between Buffy and Harry Potter.  Well, what could be better?  It’s true (though the writing styles are widely different).  There are demon hunters and regular humans who don’t see the magical world around them.

I kind of hope the comments get some spoilers because I want to know what people think of the whole Jace/Clary thing.  I’m thinking something changes in the next book, right?  Wait, I don’t want to know.

I’m glad that I have The Mortal Instruments too provide me with escape at a time when I need it.  It was an exciting fun book and it thankfully lived up to the hype, going farther than my expectations.



No comments:

Post a Comment