Friday, April 04, 2014

Frozen

I saw Frozen last weekend and it definitely lived up to the musical hype.  The songs, the animated singing of the characters, the Broadway style and the movements, were fantastic.  It elevated the movie.  I can see why not just the movie, but the album is so popular. The music of Frozen was filled with energy and excitement. The songs are still playing in my head.

I loved the ending.  No spoilers, I'm just going to say that it isn't typical.  I heard rumours about the non-typical ending, so when it happened, I wasn't very surprised, but I was very happy.  That's all I should really say about it, except maybe mention again that I loved it.

There are princesses, a prince, a handsome poor boy, secrets and magic.  But it isn't about that.  It's about sisters.  We could maybe even stretch that to say siblings.  It is about the bond they can share, what they are willing to do anything for each other.  Elsa and Anna love each other and even a forced distance can not change that.

I keep wondering if I (or other people) would love the movie as much if the songs weren't amazing.  Yes? No?  Should I stop wondering? My daughter is asking to see the movie again. I'm going to have to buy it soon.  My son was riveted also, so I know that I have something that will keep them both entertained. Songs won't make a movie for my kids, though. If they like the music, they'll pay attention to just the singing, if they like the whole thing, then I've struck gold.  Maybe they've answered the question for me. Olaf, Kristoff, the trolls, are all a part of Elsa and Anna's story and are fun characters. Everywhere I go, I seem to hear kids talking about Frozen. I'll be hearing about it more once I get my own copy.

3 comments:

  1. I actually bought this movie not too long ago without seeing it first. Cos I realized it was more expensive for 2 of us to go to the movies than it was to just buy the movie. Go figure. I really liked to the story but I thought the songs were just OK. I don't know what it is, possibly just my age now, but I didn't think it was on the same level as the music from Beauty and the Beast or The Little Mermaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've totally bought movies just because it's cheaper than going to the theatre to see it.

      I love the music from Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid. I owned the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack... on cassette.

      I think the music is a different style. Frozen sounds like it's ready to be put on stage. Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid both have a classic Disney musical sound. I do agree that I prefer the music from those movies. I'd throw in Aladdin and The Lion King. Hakuna Matata.

      Delete
    2. Oh man, I had B&B, the Little Mermaid, and Aladdin on cassette as well. I think Lion King was the first one I got on CD. Memories...

      Agreed that Frozen music felt like it was written for the stage where the others didn't. I guess I just...prefer it to feel like it's made for a movie and have them make the changes for the stage. BUT I still enjoyed it so you know, whatever works :)

      Delete