Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Bone Dust Rub

Photo (c) Loni C.
(I thought of all kinds of comments I could make about rubbing meat, etc, but decided I didn't want my blog flagged for being naughty so I restrained myself....)

The Bone Dust Rub is a seasoning (rub) I've used on chicken and steak. I've used it on it's own and I've also used it with Bull's Eye barbecue sauce with yummy results.  Why am I talking about this now?  Well, I just made a fresh batch. It's filled with so much flavourful goodness, I had to share.

The recipe comes from Sticky Fingers and Tenderloins by Ted Reader.  He's something of a "king" (apparently) when it comes to barbecue recipes.  A former co-worker brought her copy of Sticky Fingers in to work one day and gave me a few recipes that she thought I'd like.  You can have the recipe for yourself by clicking here, which will take you to the recipe on Penguin.ca.  I also found loads of other sources just by Googling "Bone Dust Rub" and none of them were naughty.

I basically make it just as the recipe reads.  There's only a couple tweeks I make.  I almost never have hot mustard powder, so I use regular mustard powder and it works out just fine.  I often end up adding a touch more chili powder, cayenne and paprika.  Also, and this is the more important recipe comment, as someone who has cooked and eaten different curries, be aware of what kind of curry powder you are using.  I use the kind my mother gets from a West Indian grocery shop near her house.  It definitely tastes different and stronger than the curry powder I had previously purchased from my local grocery store (which actually does have a decent "international" section).  The grocery store curry I bought had a bit of a bitter after taste.  I suppose that this can be true of many spices, where it's grown and how it's made can affect its taste.  Oh, I just remembered: I also use a mild sea salt instead of Kosher salt.

If you're looking for a way to spice up your barbecuing this summer or adding some summer to your winter, I recommend the Bone Dust Rub.  

No comments:

Post a Comment