Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Elysium

Elysium is one of those "summer blockbusters" from last year. There were so many though, it was difficult to keep them all straight. Once I got a look at Elysium's trailer, knew the premise and saw who was starring, I knew this was a movie I'd like to see. The base of Elysium's premise was not new, but interestingly done. Elysium is not the first movie/story to imagine what will happen with an extreme separation of the rich and poor, but I haven't see the space station in the sky, looming over the poor before. It's as though the station is mocking those stuck in the pollution of the Earth. It hangs above people too poor to ever get there. It's also sad to think that instead of making Earth better, the rich merely escape it and continue to pollute it. 

I enjoyed Elysium, but I didn't love it. I really wanted to. I enjoyed Matt Damon and Jodie Foster and the other actors/characters on screen. The actions sequences were intense and well done. Something was just missing for me, some kind of spark or connection between me and what was happening. I feel like Elysium didn't quite meet its potential. I do recommend it, though, if you're a fan of grown-up sci-fi/dystopian stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment