Friday, October 03, 2014

Why I Love The Scholastic Book Flyer

For those of you know don't know, the Scholastic Book flyer is a flyer selling books to school children, making those kids part of the Scholastic Book Club.  The flyer comes home every month with the children. Through the flyer you can buy books and they have a pretty good selection with decent prices.  There are different flyers for different age groups.  I have a sentimental attachment to them.  For most of my school life, that was how I got new books.

My parents weren't readers.  They might read the newspaper or a magazine article, but not a book.  I know a lot of people who (sadly) are not readers.  They would rather do something else.  I guess that's fine. My Hubby wondered out loud once how I developed such a deep love of books; the only ones around were the few in my room.  For many years, the Scholastic Flyer was my only source of books.  It's where I got my first diary, my Sweet Valley Twins, Babysitters Club and Fear Street novels. (Fear Street is probably what led me to eventually be a Stephen King fan.)  It wasn't until I was a teenager roaming the mall with my friends that I would have an opportunity to go into a bookstore.  Even then it was rare, as not many teenagers wanted to hangout with books.

Seeing my daughter bring these home now fills me with such happiness.  It fills me with hope too.  Though I have taken my children into a bookstore many, many times.  I know that there are parents out there who aren't taking their kids to bookstores.  Seeing the flyer lets me know that children will have the opportunity to develop a love for reading even if there parents do not.  I also appreciate that it hasn't "gone digital" as so much does these days.  Many families don't have the internet at home or even computers.  A physical paper flyer means access for everyone.  So much has changed in schools from when I was my daughter's age.  I am glad to see that this one thing has not and I hope it never will.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment