Monday, August 03, 2015

Embroideries


Embroideries was hilarious. I couldn't put down Marjane Satrapi's (second) nonfiction graphic novel (graphic memoir?) about these Iranian women sitting down to have a sex talk. The women were so bold and so honest and their stories were just incredible. I loved the grandmother. I loved how she started the book and how she ended it. I loved finding out what "embroideries" actually means.

I don't often read nonfiction but I was intrigued by Embroideries. I had been wanting to read something by Marjane Satrapi and her nonfiction graphic novel came into my possession. I found the idea of a nonfiction graphic novel fascinating. It meant that Satrapi would be drawing real people from her life. Their stories are also represented through her drawings, her interpretation of what they are telling her.  The art is amazing, intriguing and adds another layer to their tales.

There is so much I could talk about with this book. Iranian women, how they are perceived, what they are really like.  That broken hearts are common no matter the culture, so is using a relationship to escape.  In this conversation, the women are so bold and so open. They talked about everything. Marrying certain men have their advantages, like being able to move to Vienna. Keep your jewels safe. How to fake virginity. What happens after divorce. Embroideries.

I love this book. I've read some great books recently and this one might be the best of them. It was funny, heartwarming, emotional and unique.  I look forward reading more from Satrapi and hope to see the films based on her work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment