Friday, November 05, 2010

The Literary Blog Hop

Literary Blog Hop

There is always an argument going on somewhere about what makes a book “literature”. Is it a timeless quality? Is it the exposition of universal truth? Or is it simply a book that is non-genre? One of my favourite books is definitely considered literary, The Handmaid’s Tale, by one of my favourite writers, Margaret Atwood. I’ve spoken about how much I adore this book and how the story has stayed with me even though it’s been too many years since I read it.  A Thousand Splendid Suns, all of which I am happy to discuss at length any time.

Our hosts at The Blue Bookcase talked about Revolutionary Road and the fact that it is still socially relevant. I also think The Handmaid’s Tale is socially relevant. You want to know what could happen if fundamentalists (of certain religious persuasions) take over? Read The Handmaid’s Tale. It’s set in the future, so is arguably a form of science fiction, but it is the not-so-distant future, which can run chills down your spine. George Orwell’s 1984 is similar in that regard, is considered to be literature and is another favourite book. Other books that I love, (that don’t take place in the future) are The Lovely Bones, Jane Eyre and

I like to think of my blog as literary, but also eclectic. Regarding my most recent reviews, some may argue the literary standing of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but most people wouldn’t think of Dead and Gone or The Dark Tower: Treachery, a graphic novel, as literature. So I’ve joined this event, thinking I’m mostly literary, though my love to read takes me everywhere.

What are your favourite literary works?


11 comments:

  1. I have a special place in my heart for THE GLASS MENAGERIE by Tenessee Williams. Victor Hugo's LES MISERABLES is also a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm for having all book bloggers don big poofy boxing gloves and finally deciding, once and for all, what is literary fiction! On second thought, lets just keep blogging about it! I think it's funny that no one can define literary fiction, but everyone can come up with an example! Go figure....

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1984 is on my TBR wishlist! I know shocking that I have not read this one yet.

    Am enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on literary fiction.
    Not sure my blog is literary fiction as too much pop fic and chick lit but I do read some literary fiction.

    enjoy ur weekend!

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't call 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale science fiction because the point is that they're possible. They're technically dystopias. They're also definitely literary and two of my favorite books! I actually considered mentioning both in my post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm now following you after finding you on the blog hop. Looking forward to reading more of your reviews :)

    I very much enjoyed the Handmaid's Tale - I've read it a few times and seem to get more out of it each time.

    Sam at Tiny Library

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Atwood! It's been almost 25 years since I read The Handmaid's Tale. Almost bought a copy at a library sale last week, and I'm sorry I didn't. It's time for a reread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining our Hop! I absolutely LOVE Margaret Atwood. I think The Handmaid's Tale changed me forever. Haha. I also loved her novel Surfacing, which I think is a little bit lesser known.

    -Ingrid from The Blue Bookcase

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting to think about the definition of the word "literary". I can't imagine that someone would define many of the children's picture books I read as "literary," for example. But the truth is that everything I read to conclusion has at least some elements of literary work. Thoughfulness. Beautiful writing. A timeless quality. Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining in on the hop! I've never gotten around to reading Margaret Atwood, but it sounds like I need to jump on that!

    Hope you had fun on the hop, finding new blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahab, The Glass Menagerie and Les Miserables are two books I really ought to read, but haven’t gotten around to yet.

    Dizzy C, I can’t even express how fantastic 1984 is. It’s so relevant and scary and sad.

    Jennifer, I’ve heard arguments that dystopias are a form of science fiction. I’m not sure I agree, I’m not sure I disagree either. There’s no reason sci-fi can’t be literary.

    JoAnn, IngridLola, I love Atwood too! I read Surfacing shortly after reading The Handmaid’s Tale. They are two very wonderful, but very different stories. She has an amazing imagination.

    Thanks to everyone who hopped by my blog on the weekend. I would have posted this thank you yesterday, but my little girl has a cold. *sniff* Now me too!

    ReplyDelete