Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Avengers Assemble

I picked up Avengers Assemble because it was listed as the first book in a series that included Avengers: The Enemy Within, which I had read as part of a Captain Marvel series. When I looked at what other books were part of the series, I saw Science Bros. and knew I had to get them. I am really glad I did and Avengers Assemble is a great first book. Brian Michael Bendis does a great job at bringing everyone together. The story could feel overloaded, but it focuses where it needs to focus and offers snippets of Spider-Man and Mr. Fantastic comments, and others, where necessary. 

The story focuses on the "core" movie Avengers at first, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow and Thor. There's a problem. They have to solve it. The problem is really big and they need space help. Enter the Guardians of the Galaxy. Then there's some space adventures. Maybe a couple of the guys die. Also, I'm pretty sure Thor and Gamora were flirting, but that was before the deaths. I've only recently started reading comics/graphic novels more regularly, so (spoiler?) is Thor and Gamora a thing? Because that would be cool.

The art was great. Fun, spacey, earthy, expressive. The colours were great. I loved all the battle scenes. I liked how it was organized, how the art lay on top of each other. The big scenes had an epic feel, but the artist was able to bring the story back into focus for those character moments, like with Hawkeye and Black Widow.

I do think there was a good balance of character and story. Though with so many characters, there wasn't a lot of "growth" happening, we got so see characters meet for the first time and show off their personalities. Rocket and Hawkeye's interactions were great. Drax was direct. Hulk showed emotion and fierceness. There was a lot packed into this book. I didn't find it overwhelming though. It was engaging and exciting. I'm even more eager to read Science Bros. and I wonder how it will all end. (Thanos!)

No comments:

Post a Comment