Saturday, May 09, 2009

The Thorn Birds

I can’t believe how much I loved The Thorn Birds. It was long, but so well written, you don’t even feel the time pass. Colleen McCullough created more than just a story or an interesting narrative. McCullough created a dynasty, a family you could believe was real and grow attached. Even now, I miss them.

Though there were many unexpected events throughout the story, The Thorn Birds had a practically perfect ending. I wouldn’t call it neat, more like final. Yes, the reader might wonder about Justine’s future; she is only 30 by the end of the novel. The reader might also wonder a bit about who takes over Drogheda. However, I don’t feel like there are any lingering questions. The story does not need a sequel or an interview with the author asking her what she things the future would hold for the Cleary line. When The Thorn Birds is over, it’s over.

No comments:

Post a Comment