Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Books I Wish I'd Read as a Kid

1. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, by: C.S. Lewis
2. The Hobbit, by: J.R.R. Tolkien
3. Goodnight Moon, by: Margaret Wise Brown
4. Where The Wild Things Are, by: Maurice Sendak
5. Alice In Wonderland, by: Lewis Carroll
6. Peter Pan, by: J.M. Barrie

Some of these books I've now read, but some I still haven't.  An honourable mention goes to Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, (as well as the rest of the series). I would have read it as a kid, but it was published when I was seventeen, then I didn’t actually hear about it until I was 19. I did read it a couple years later and now, I absolutely love the series.

I couldn’t make it to ten this week. I honestly read a lot of good books as a kid, Anne of Green Gables, The Very Hungry Caterpillar and an assortment of Dr. Seuss and that’s just what I can think of off hand. I just bought The Monster At The End Of This Book for my daughter because I loved it so much as a kid. I hope that my kids grow up with the love for reading I did.

Thanks to the Broke and the Bookish for another great Top Ten Tuesday!

8 comments:

  1. I tried reading The Hobbit several times as a kid, including in comic book form, and never managed it. I finally did read it two or three years ago, and while I enjoyed it it didn't seem as..."awesome" as I'd been led to believe. But everyone has their own tastes.

    I did enjoy Lewis' work, though...we read that book for school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me sad you didn't read Goodnight Moon as a child. It's so good and feels so cozy as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    I think it's great that you were able to read so many great books as a child that you didn't get to fill this list up! (On the other hand, I've run into others who sneaked in an extra after the tenth!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous25/1/11 17:50

    I never read The Very Hungry Caterpillar as a child but I'm certainly making up for it now! It's my 2yo son's favourite book and we go through exactly what the caterpillar eats 20x a day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. smellincoffee, I've learned as I've read other book blogs, that The Hobbit and Tolkien aren't for everyone.

    Brenna, I love Goodnight Moon now. Someone bought it for my daughter when she was born. It's her favourite book and we read it to her every night.

    Enbrethiliel, I was (and still am) a nerd.

    1girl, I actually don't have a copy and need to get one. I think my daughter would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choices! I'm like you in that I read a TON as a kid and so a lot of what is showing up on other lists I was lucky enough to read early. How cool to be able to introduce great books to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't read Where the Wild Things Are as IT HAD NOT YET BEEN WRITTEN! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I regret that THE SISSY DUCKLING hadn't been written yet when I was a kid. It's a great book about defying expectations and being true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete