Saturday, January 31, 2009

Eleanor Rigby

Douglas Coupland’s Eleanor Rigby is much more than what it seems. The novel, named for the Beatles’ song, takes the idea of loneliness and expands it. You think it is a story about the lonely life of Liz Dunn. It is, but it is so much more. Liz lives her life, simply, routinely. Then, a mysterious man shows up and her life is never the same again.

This is the second of Coupland’s novels that I’ve read. He likes to throw the unexpected at his readers, something I appreciate. There are so many bumps on the road to what seems the end of Liz Dunn’s solitary existence. I enjoyed the ride immensely. I’m eager to read another of his novels.

2 comments:

  1. I've only read Generation X and Souvenir of Canada. I look forward to reading this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other book I've read of his is Hey Nostrodamus! It was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete