The Broke and The Bookish are asking for my Top Ten Bookish Confessions. I don’t know if I have any “confessions”. But here are the top ten things I do because of my love for books.
1. I do not dog ear pages. The idea of doing it makes me cringe. If I don’t have a bookmark, scrap of paper or whatever, I look down at the bottom of the page and try to remember the page number. If that doesn’t happen, the next time I pick up the book, I flip until I find somewhere close to where I left off.
2. I don’t do library fines. That’s probably because of my book-buying addiction. Even if I borrow a book, if I like it, I’ll end up buying it.
3. I buy more books than I can read. I can’t help it. They’re so pretty. Especially if they’re on the sale table, it makes it so much more tempting.
4. I refuse to give books away. Okay, not refuse. But of my hundreds of books, my hubby asked me to get rid of some so we could make some room (for new books, he did the same thing), I only picked out about eight. I haven’t actually gotten rid of them yet either. They’re on the floor of the bedroom. I was thinking of giving them away here…
5. I never crack the spine. Sorry. I know there are people who love the look of a well read book, but I don’t. I like to keep them pretty. If I lend a book and the spine comes back cracked, I am obviously unhappy (my hubby is worse). It’s mine; you should return it in the same condition it was in when you took it (like anything else you might borrow).
6. I talk about characters in books like they’re real people.
7. I never lie about whether I’ve read a book or not. I won’t fake it just to look smart/cool/popular/whatever.
8. I never lie about whether I like a book or not. Even if I know everyone else has liked it.
So I know I’m “admitting” these things, but I’m not “confessing” them. They’re not secrets. Many of them I’ve mentioned on my blog before. Though most books I read are fiction, I’m not fictional in my reactions to them. Fiction may be pretend, but there is a lot of truth in it too.
Too deep for Top Ten Tuesday?