Sunday, November 24, 2013

It's Been Four Weeks

It's been four weeks since I posted anything. I couldn't believe that when I looked at my last post. I don't know if I've ever gone that long without posting something on my blog.  I've been going through some changes.  I've been very emotional about it.  One of the first things to fall to the side was my blogs.  I think about it, I think about how long it's been since I put some kind of thought about anything up.  I have 9 drafts of posts that haven't been finished yet, that aren't even close!  

The centre of all this is a new job.  I posted a while ago that my contract was ending at my old job and they weren't keeping me on.  I (luckily) found a job that started right away.  It's in the same industry, but different in what they want me to do.  I know they hired me for my industry experience and I'm grateful for not being unemployed.  This job is just a lot of work. A LOT.  Much more than my last job.  What I've lost is my work/life balance.  I'm learning to deal with the tiredness I now feel when I get home from the office.  It's mostly mental, but it seeps into my muscles.  I only seem to have the energy to take care of the kids.  Often, by the time they've gone to bed, I'm spent.  It's been a process of getting used to this and bringing my energy levels up, which I don't know if I've even accomplished that.

I almost didn't write about this absence.  I don't usually do one of those "I'm taking a break." posts.  If I don't have anything to say, I don't say anything.  But it's never been this long.  It's been a week, maybe two. I have still commented on other blogs, I've still tweeted.  My new job has blocked a lot of social media sites. Apparently it was a problem, but it seems to actually go against what my job does, as I think we need to go on Facebook, Twitter, etc., for actual, professional reasons. It was actually hindering my job one day, which is how I found out...  I digress.  What I want to say is that I'm going to try to be back.  I saw Thor, I read Horns and I've been obsessed with Sleepy Hollow.  I have started posts about all these things and more. I'd like to finish them, I'd like to get back to a happy work/life balance.  I think today is a start.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you find your work/life balance, and explain to work how stupid it is when they block social media sites. Though I'm glad you found another job right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on eventually talking to them about allowing access to social media, even if it is somehow limited. I get that they want to limit "wasted" time and maybe there was someone or some people who were once a problem, but with marketing, I think access to the sites is important. The person who is training me agrees, so I know I have at least one senior person who agrees with me.

      Delete
  2. For me if something is strongly off balance in life, I can't really blog at all, all the energy goes into the fixing of the crisis. I hope things will get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly my problem, no balance and blogging was one of the first things to go.

      Delete