Thursday, July 28, 2016

Book Clubs

I don't do book clubs. I never have. Do you?

I don't like being told what to read. Or to have a deadline to read it by. It feels too much like school. Not that I didn't like school. I was an English major and read some fantastic novels, short stories, poems and plays over those years. Some I've since re-read, because I didn't feel like I got to enjoy them the first time around. I'd also have to go out and see people, which is not always something I want to do.

I was talking with a few people recently and they were discussing their book clubs. I mentioned that I don't belong to one and they were surprised, as they know I'm an avid reader. I told them the reasons why. They nodded, but provided a few different, convincing arguments as to why they found their book clubs enjoyable: 

- They read books they normally wouldn't, which I appreciate, I love discovering new books. 

- By listening to others, they gain a new perspective on a book, sometimes making them like it more than they did previously. I can definitely see that, though I've had the opposite be true too.

- They don't always finish the book. While finishing is preferable, it's not always necessary and the people they meet with have never made them feel bad for not finishing. That's great, but I know I'd put pressure on myself and then feel guilty if it didn't get done (even if I didn't like it).

- There's [often] wine. Well, right there, might be the most convincing argument of all.

After we talked about the book clubs (among other things), it left me wondering, should I look at joining one? One of the women there, about my age, with children, maybe next time I see here, I'll ask about her book club. Maybe I could just ask other ladies I know? I'm sure I could look online. Then again, maybe I will just stick to blogging about books. I'd love to know what other people think of book clubs. I'm still undecided.

4 comments:

  1. As much as I love entering into bookish conversations with people, I've never gotten into a book club. The ones I've found in my area are mostly for retirees or people who don't work, apparently, as they're scheduled in the middle of the day. I'm a member of some reading groups on Goodreads, but I always have so many different book leads to chase that reading another book simply because the group is doesn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. At least some of the book clubs I know about have people about my age in them.

      But ya, I don't like being told what to read.

      Delete
  2. I do some book clubbing though it tends to be far more drinking focused than book focused, which is FINE in my mind. Trying to find time for everyone to meet is the biggest channel but really, if people don't finish the book it's not a huge deal. And I have def read books I wouldn't have picked up, which is sometimes a good thing (though also sometimes...not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I need another excuse to drink wine.

      I think I'd like the experience of being in a book club, at least for a little while.

      Delete