Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps.

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps. is part of Marvel's Secret Wars, specifically Warzones, and it takes place on Battleworld. I was only a little familiar with Secret Wars, so I wasn't sure what to expect here. Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps takes place in an alternate reality. Captain Marvel is the chosen of Doom and she leads a squadron call the Banshees. The Banshees include characters we're familiar with in connection with Carol Danvers, like Helen Cobb. They live on an army base consisting entirely of women. The only men they seem to ever see are the male members of the Thor Corps. These women are pretty badass. Captain Marvel and the Banshees are elite, and they're smart. They figure out something is wrong with the world, that there aught to be something beyond the sky, that it's not just a void. It was really interesting watching them puzzle through the mystery of their world and the mystery of Captain Marvel's powers.

I really enjoyed Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps. I liked seeing Carol as part of this team. I liked how they all stuck by each other, supporting and believing in each other. I liked watching them try and solve this mystery, science versus doctrine. I enjoyed Kelly Sue DeConnick's story and David Lopez's art. I loved the style that calls back to the early 20th century, but combined with fantastical technology. Though there were things I really liked about Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps, I'm not totally happy with it. I want to know what happens next. I want answers. I want to know what they discover, if they make it. I read an article saying that the end of Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps was like a goodbye letter from Kelly Sue DeConnick, a metaphor for her (and her team) leaving Marvel and Carol Danvers. Well, that's lovely, but it did not leave me with a satisfying conclusion. If you are a Captain Marvel fan, Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps is a must-read, but don't except a neat ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment