Saturday, August 05, 2017

The Dark Tower

I wanted to love The Dark Tower. When I heard that a movie was finally going to be made based on Stephen King's epic novels, I was so excited. I have read all The Dark Tower novels. I have read *most of the graphic novels. This series, the way it has been woven into many of King's other works, is probably my favourite books series. From the trailers though, I could tell this movie was not going to be like any of the books. So that is the mindset I went into the movie with, and any fan of King's novels, should not expect the movie to be like the books.

When we walked out of the theatre and I asked my Hubby what he thought of the movie, he said that he liked it. It was entertaining. I hesitate to say that I "liked" it, because I feel like a proper adaptation of the first Dark Tower book, The Gunslinger would be amazing, a dark, gritty, blend of western and fantasy. There was so much of the mythos that they just touched on, without fully exploring. But it wasn't terrible. I was engaged, I wanted to know what would happen next... because the story was so different from the books, I really didn't know what was going to happen.

The best part of the movie for me was Idris Elba. He can be anyone, in any movie, and make it better. He was thoughtful, harsh, yet caring, the way Roland should be. Also, I have to mention, the sound of Roland's guns was fantastic. I know that it doesn't seem important, but Roland's guns should sound like hand canons, and I feel like they did. This is an entertaining movie, with some good acting. If you haven't read the books, it is probably something you will enjoy. If you're a fan of the novels, just be aware of how different the movie will be.

* I own all the graphic novels that have been published, I just haven't read them yet.

The trailer, so that you know what you're in for.

https://youtu.be/GjwfqXTebIY

5 comments:

  1. Seeing it next week. Haven't read any of the books but have picked up the first one. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll make money and they'll make more in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen it yet? Did you enjoy it?
      I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

      Delete
    2. Got my dates mixed up! [lol] We're seeing it THIS week - probably.. as it only comes out here this Friday.

      Delete
    3. Ok, saw it last night. Haven't read the book(s) so can't compare things but - I really liked it. Good cast (especially the two main leads). Even the boy was good and I don't usually like kids in films. I see what you meant by the sound of the guns! I loved the way that the baddies used magic AND technology. I did think that the end was a bit rushed but overall - very good.

      Delete
    4. Glad you liked it. I've heard from people, that if you haven't read the books, you like it more than people who have read them. I really like the combination of magic and technology too, it's done (in the movie and books) in interesting ways.

      Delete