Monday, September 04, 2017

Queen Of Shadows


That was a neatly perfect ending. Is that giving away too much? I have mixed feelings about that end, to be honest. It did everything I wanted it to, in a beautiful, horrific, exciting way, but I would have liked one twist. I guess there was a twist, but it wasn't really a surprise to me. When it happened, I was like, oh ya, that makes sense

The characters though, are what made Queen of Shadows so amazing, and what keeps me coming back to the Throne of Glass series. I loved the other two female characters that we got to explore. Lysandra was someone we met along time ago, but in Queen of Shadows, Sarah J. Maas explores her thoroughly. She is so much more than she appears. She is forging a path for herself, becoming her own person, instead of what others expect her to be. I also just loved Nesryn Faliq. She was brave, strong and independent, and she loved. Maas created a character that was fierce, but also emotional. There is also more than just what's on the surface with her. I'm excited to see where Nesryn goes next.

I really liked how Maas dealt with Aelin and Chaol's relationship. Part of me wanted it to be different, but I understand why it was that way. It seemed natural, based on what happened to both of them in Heir of Fire. I'm excited for more Chaol. He has been a favourite for me since the first novel. I feel like his loyalties and morality have been constantly tested. He's been through so much and deserves his own story to explore those changes.

I wonder what will happen with Dorian. He has also been through more than his fair share of grief. He's not that young prince we met in Throne of Glass. He has loved, he has suffered loss after loss. He feels as though he has caused pain. Dorian's feelings about his friends, his family and himself are complex. I wonder who he will eventually become. I wonder what new relationship lies on the horizon.

I really liked the dynamic between Rowan and Aedion. Adversarial, brotherly, comrades, soldiers. They developed their own understanding, outside of their relationships with Aelin. I wonder if we'll see more of Rowan's former compatriots, specifically one who will have a big impact on Aedion's life. Will it happen in the next book? It adds to the incentive to read Empire of Storms soon.

I'm interested in how Maas will expand Eleria, as the location of the main story seems to be shifting. I hope that doesn't give too much away, but there's a big world out there and Adarlan is only one small part. What will happen in Terresen? What about the mountains? The other countries?

I was talking about books with a new friend the other day' she was asking who my favourite authors where. I gave my "usual" answers, but I also realized that Sarah J. Maas is now one of my favourites. I've read all but one of her currently published books. I'm always on the look out for when something new is coming out (Tower of Dawn). Where I hear she's touring, I check to see where. Like other favourite authors, there are some books I've liked better than others, but I've enjoyed them all. I'm excited to see what else Maas has in store for her readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment