Sunday, January 04, 2009

A Chrstmas Carol

I really wanted to read the unabridged, original, unillustrated, A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens. I finished it, appropriately enough on Christmas Eve. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I found it difficult to get into initially. It had nothing to do with Dickens’ writing – this is the third book by him I’ve read and the others were much longer. The difficulty lay more in the fat that I already knew what was going to happen. How many times have you heard the story, read a children’s version or seen a movie adaptation? There’s even A Muppet’s Christmas Carol! I can understand the appeal after finishing the original work. The story has a cinematic quality, which creates a vivid narrative. There are a few things, as with every original piece, that were left out. In the end, it is a wonderful story that every holiday lover should read.

No comments:

Post a Comment