Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dream Angus

A short book, but not exactly a quick read; it was difficult to get into, to lose myself in the story. I’m sorry to say, I was a bit disappointed with Alexander McCall-Smith’s Dream Angus. I really wanted to like it. Dream Angus is another installment of the Myth Series, which includes authors Margaret Atwood and Karen Armstrong. I’ve read both their contributions and they were great. Instead of one story, I got many. Margaret Atwood’s The Penelopiad and [another contributor] Jeanette Winterson’s Weight were retellings, reimaginings of old myths. This is what I expected. Instead, Angus’s story was constantly being interrupted by different tales from the modern world. It was more like a collection of short stories orbiting Angus’s myth. I suppose I had high expectations. It was still a good book. Perhaps I was just unprepared for its format. I just wish there was something about it I could get excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment