Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Top Ten Books I'd Like to See Made Into Movies

This week, the Broke and The Bookish want to know, what books we'd like to see made into movies.

1. Oryx and Crake, 2. Year of the Flood – I’d like to see both books made into movies. I think they’d be horrific and disturbing and fantastic films. They’d (hopefully) be the kind of movie that makes an impact, where you never really forget the story, just like the books.

3. The Hunger Games – Oh wait. They’re already making this into a movie. Yay! It better be good.

4. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo – Oh wait. They’ve already made a Swedish movie, now we’re just waiting for the “Hollywood Blockbuster” to come out. I’ve heard the Swedish movie is amazing. The Hollywood movie better be good.

5. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell – Though parts of the book dragged, if you take some of it out, this would make for an exciting movie.

6. Wicked – It’s a musical already, but it’s not as close to the book or as dark as the book. I think a movie could really show Elphaba at her best and worst.

7. Remember Me? – This one might make up for not having a great interpretation of Confessions of a Shopaholic I think the premise and outcome are unique and interesting. It wouldn’t be another formulaic chick-flick.

8. The Paper Bag Princess – If they’ve done Where The Wild Things Are why not The Paper Bag Princess? Let’s give the girls someone fantastic to look up to. It’s one of my favourite children’s books and I think a movie of it could be wonderful.

9. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies – This would be so awesome.

10. A Series of Unfortunate Events – I know they did a movie encompassing the first three books, which was fantastic. I enjoyed the performances of Jim Carrey, Glen Close and the actors who played the Baudelaire siblings. They’d probably have to start over since the actors have aged so much, but they’re such wonderful books, I think it would be worth it.

I wanted to add that I’ve wanted to see a movie or movies based on the Dark Tower series by Stephen King for years. Now that I’ve discovered what they’re doing, I hope they don’t mess it up.

I also considered adding A Thousand Splendid Suns but I think I’d cry the whole time. It’s probably why I haven’t seen the film version of The Lovely Bones.

13 comments:

  1. Wicked would be a great film so long as they kept it close to the book. I chose a Maguire book too - Mirror Mirror. I also thought about adding Margaret Atwood to the list. I was thinking of Handmaids tale although it would be a little disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your list! I really thought they'd make more Series of Unfortunate Events movies but I guess it didn't do quite as well as they had hoped. Also I'm glad to have someone on my side for P&P&Z. When I put that on my list I figured I'd have a lot of people backing away from that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with Jonathan Strange - They'd have to cut alot. I'd also be the first in line to see Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12/4/11 12:42

    It would be great to see more Unfortunate Events movies. I really enjoyed the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree about Jonathan Strange, I'd definitely go and see that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. I especially agree with Wicked and Jonathan Strange.

    I read some time ago that the latter was "in production" - which can mean anything from having been optioned to being in filming - but I have heard nothing new for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see all of Margaret Atwood's books as movies! I can't wait for the movie adaptation of The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12/4/11 22:32

    I really need to read Oryx and Crake & Year of the Flood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is on my list too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, I love Wicked. I didn't put The Handmaid's Tale because I was pretty sure that had already been made into a movie a while ago.

    Red, Two Bibliomaniacs, I love P&P&Z!

    1girl, Read those books! They're great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must be an enjoyable read Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal, this book is going in by "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When is someone going to make the Epic of Gilgamesh into a movie?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list, Loni. I have to confess this Top Ten stumped me, but when I read your list, I thought, yeh, exactly. Especially about the two Margaret Atwood books. I've only read The Year of the Flood, but that would make a good movie.

    ReplyDelete