Monday, December 26, 2011

The Frozen Thames


I’m not sure how to categorize Helen Humphreys' The Frozen Thames.  Is it a collection of short stories?  Creative non-fiction?  Historical fiction?  Each story is based the actual events that occurred during each freezing of the river Thames.

Humphreys has created a beautiful collection.  Each story is like poetry, lyrical, smooth and full of ice.  The poetic quality is why it took me so long to finish.  The book could be a quick read, but with poetry in general, I have to take a step back, so I had to do that after almost every story.  Of course, this is a personal thing and I’m sure others could sit on a cold winter day, in a warm chair with a cup of tea and read the entire book.  The Frozen Thames is simply lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment