Friday, May 23, 2014

Clockwork Prince

Cassandra Clare delivers a fast-paced, action packed story with the second book in The Infernal Devices series. Clockwork Prince had everything I expected from Clare. There were secrets, surprises, love, hatred, confusion and vendettas. I'm still enjoying the lives of great-great (etc.) grandparents of characters in The Mortal Instruments. Also, I continue to enjoy Magnus Bane.

Clare knows how to create an intense plot. Everyone keeps moving. Even moments of rest for the characters have something else going on, thoughts and feelings they can't control. I really enjoy Will Herondale. I like that, for a moment, we are reminded that he is just 17 and that the bad thing that happened to him, occurred when he was 12. I think Tessa has so much possibility, I'm eager to see what will happen to her in Clockwork Princess.

I'm not 100% happy with Jem's emotional outburst at the end, the one with Tessa.  I don't want to reveal anything to anyone who hasn't read it yet, but I'm just not sure I liked it.  It was a lot coming from a usually reserved character.  I get that it was suppressed emotion finally bubbling up to the surface, but I still don't know if I'm happy with it.  Poor Jem, though.  I feel like I'm going to spend a large part of the next novel waiting for him to die.  

I know Clare plans on writing other series set after The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.  I know not everyone may like that, but I read series with 15+ books in them.  As long as I'm enjoying the stories, I'll keep reading about Shadowhunters.  I wonder how far Clare can stretch their world.


No comments:

Post a Comment