Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Steel Cut Oats

Why do people love steel cut oats for their oatmeal in the morning?  I've heard from so many people how wonderful it is.  I've see recipes for different ways to make it on Pinterest and blogs.  I have been told that if I love oatmeal, I just have to try steel cut oats.  So, I finally bought a bag last week and now I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

I love oatmeal.  Regular, rolled oat oatmeal.  It's one of my favourite breakfasts.  It can be as simple or as complex as I want.  Often, I add raisins and a bit of maple syrup.  It's a warm way to start off a chilly fall or winter morning.  Why am I not getting this same feeling from steel cut oats?

Should I do one of the overnight recipes?  One of the baked recipes?  Why is this so hard?  I used an actual pot to make them, going beyond the ease of rolled oats in the microwave, because I WANT to know, I want to understand the love people have for them. 

I'm considering trying one of the overnight slow cooker recipes.  They seem like more work than I intended, but if they come out better, as wonderful as suggested, then it might be worth it.  I also think waking up to a cinnamon smell might be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment