Friday, September 26, 2014

The Fall


The Fall is the second book in The Strain trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I've been watching The Strain television show on FX Canada and the more I watched it, the more I had to read the second book. Not only did the show put me in the mood for some more dark, vampire fiction, but something happened on the show that I knew related to the second book. How long until I read The Night Eternal?  We will see.

Vague Spoilers ahead.

I really enjoyed seeing the evolutions of Eph, Gus and Fet. These are not the same men who appeared in The Strain. They've adapted to the battle against the vampire strain infecting the world.  I wish Nora had been developed a little more.  I also didn't like the end of her, her mother and Zach.  I did like what happened with Palmer.  I continue to wonder how Eph and Fet's relationship will develop.

I'm not sure how I feel about The Fall.  It was a good story, a little slow at the beginning, but really picking up speed and flowing easily to the end.  It was engaging and entertaining.  It felt like a second book though.  The ending wasn't a total cliffhanger, but still full of wonder.  However, I know The Night Eternal does not pick up right away after the end of The Fall. It's years later, so I am not left with the urgency to read the final book, as so often happens with me and trilogies.  Next month is October though, the perfect time of year for vampire fiction.  Maybe I will be reading it soon.
 
I really want to know what happens to Zach.  His fate is left so dark, scary, and very uncertain.  That's what I am looking forward to most in the final book.  Also, after all that has happened, how will humanity survive?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment