Thursday, September 18, 2014

Fresh Tomato Salsa


All the ingredients chopped up.
After months of buying beautiful produce from the local farmers market, I decided it was time to make my own salsa.  I didn't want to just throw tomatoes, onions and jalapeños in a container.  I wanted a recipe to guide me and found this tomato salsa recipe from All Recipes.  The recipe as written is good.  However, I wouldn't be me if I didn't tweek it.  I have my recipe below (click the link above for the original recipe). 

3 cups tomatoes, chopped
1 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped 
2 tbsp fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)

Everything mixed together
2 tbsp+ fresh jalapeño pepper, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
 
- I used yellow pepper instead of green pepper (what the other recipe called for) because I was thinking, it might suck if someone got a chip-full of green pepper, except it wasn't green pepper.... also, I like colour.
- I prefer red onion over white, in general.  I also cut the amount in half because I found 1 cup overpowering, taking away from the fresh tomato flavour.
- I like spicy salsa, my Hubby likes spicier salsa.  So, more jalapeño.
Mmm.... Chips and Salsa.
- I also added more cumin.  I think it tastes better.
 
The salsa I make lasts about a week.  If I have people over, it doesn't last at all.  For some reason, people seem impressed that I make salsa from scratch.  It's not hard.  Just a lot of chopping.  Guacamole, other dips I've made take more work, but don't get the same reaction.  I hope more people can enjoy making their own homemade salsa.




No comments:

Post a Comment