Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Head On


I love Chris Shane and Agent Vann. I love Shane's parents too. Head On is the second book in the Lock In series and I enjoyed it every bit as Lock In, maybe more. This time, I knew what "Haden's Syndrome" was and "Lock In". I also read Unlocked not that long ago, so I wasn't left wondering about anyone's medical health. The disease, which they still don't have a cure for, is the background to the story, it’s what has shaped the world in which the story is told.

Head On is a great story. John Scalzi creates mystery wrapped up in a sci-fi/dystopian world. Agent Chris Shane’s parents are rich. Crazy filthy rich. His dad is a legendary NBA champion, who, with his wife, wisely invested his money and created a financial empire, to which Agent Shane is the heir. Chris Shane doesn’t just live off his parents money, he is an FBI agent. Because he is a Haden, and his partner is a former Integrator (someone who had Haden’s but is not “locked in” and can hold the consciousness of someone who is locked in), Agent Shane an Agent Vann have unique perspectives that other FBI agents don’t. Though they aren’t the only people with Haden’s who have worked for the FBI, these two are good at their job. When crimes occur involving Haden’s, these two are on the case. In Head On, Agent Shane’s parents and ties to big money offer him a perspective and an “in” that no one else would have.

It is the unique world that captured my interest, but it is the amazing characters that had me coming back for the second book in the series. Agent Shane is great. He’s intelligent and charismatic. He doesn’t flaunt his money, but when it helps his case he will definitely use his status. Agent Vann is grizzled and ornery, She is also greatly intelligent and knows how to put the pieces of a puzzle together. Vann and Shane’s relationship is fun and thoughtful. I also love Shane’s parents, especially his mother. She gets dismissed by the business bigwigs as an NBA star's trophy wife, but she knows all about financials and is the one who makes sure their money works for them. Both parents really show how much they love their son. Something as simple as a haircut makes all the difference. They also respect his position at the FBI and they very much respect his opinion on people.

I am very eager for another book in the Lock In series.  I want to see more of Agent Shane, his parents and Agent Vann. I want to see how all the relationships grow and evolve, his parents are very fond of Agent Vann, after all. I also want to see what’s going to happen to Shane's roommates, the Hilketa league and Hadens in general. I’m also wondering if they’re going to see Mr. Medina again.

No comments:

Post a Comment