Sunday, July 23, 2006

Wedding Thoughts

I first thought about doing a blog back in the fall. A cousin of mine suggested it to me. What can I say? He was right. If I started it in the fall, maybe it could have been a wedding planning blog too. I’ve certainly had to go through quite a bit planning this production. That’s what a wedding is sometimes, a production. Though, I think it should be a celebration of the love between two people. The opinions of others should not matter. A wedding should reflect the two people who are getting married.

It took a month just to find the right place to get married and have the reception. Getting a caterer was pretty easy. I went to a bridal show with my MoH (Maid of Honour) and there they were. They had the best package deal. When we at the tasting with our parents picking the food couldn’t have gone more smoothly. We all agreed on everything. Something I did not expect. One of the most pleasant surprises in this whole wedding planning process.

The invitations. Well, I’m just not going to talk about that except to say that I loved them.

My ideas for a dress changed so many times, I don’t know how I ended up in what I’m wearing. I love it! It’s gorgeous and I can’t wait to dance around in it. My bridesmaids are going to look dead sexy!! I picked my colour (some call it grape, others call it royal purple, I call it hot!) and then told the girls they could pick whatever dress they wanted, as long as it came in the colour I wanted. That left us with five different dresses, each appropriate for the different body type of each girl. I didn’t want some to look frumpy and others to look great. Seriously, they spend a lot on these dresses. Picking the one they want, there is actually a chance they can wear it again.

Flowers were relatively easy, once we found a florist. I talked to a florist who tried to tell me I would need to spend $1500 on flowers!! Are you kidding?! No way. I still spent more than I wanted to, but I went to a local florist and it was the best decision. It was the decision that made me happy. When we were there, the ideas just flowed and built on each other. Then suddenly, I had a bouquet. It also doesn’t hurt that I’m getting married in a garden and don’t need any flowers for decoration for the ceremony.

The party favours are easy. They just require quite a bit of set up time. After all we have to make over 160 of them.

The seating plan would have been easier if people just told me if they were coming. Come on people. I sent the invites with a self-addressed stamped enveloped. All you had to do was check off the right box and stick it in the mail. How hard is that? It’s really frustrating. Oh well. I’m only doing this once…. Now I just need to make a seating map and decide where the tables are going.
For the most part, it’s been fun. I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself. This has been such a huge part of my life for the past nine months. What am I going to do when it’s over? Oh right, I’m going to work on my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment