Friday, August 30, 2013

A to Z Book Survey

I saw the A to Z Book Survey at What Red Read, who saw it at Sarah Says Read, who got it from The Perpetual Page Turner, the survey creator. I've done two A to Z type surveys in the past.  One was AmaZing Books: From A to Z, listing favourite books beginning with each letter of the alphabet.  The other was Authors From A – Z, Almost, a list of favourite authors with last names starting with each letter of the alphabet. Am I joining a bandwagon? Or do I just like any excuse to list things?

Authors you've read the most books from:  Stephen King, followed closely by J.K. Rowling (I’ve read everything Rowling has written, including The Causal Vacancy and The Cuckoo’s Calling).  *Goodreads was very helpful with this.

Best sequel ever: I am reading/have read quite a few series.  Who had the best sequel?  To hopefully make this easier, I’m sticking to the second book in a series… Even thought it's been a while, I think the best sequel might actually be The Vampire Lestat from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

Currently reading: Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood.  It’s a re-read in preparation to read the final book, Maddaddam.

Drink of choice while reading:  Water or Tea.

Ereader or physical book: Yes.

Fictional character that you probably would have dated in high school:  Peeta (The Hunger Games) maybe?  He bakes!

Glad you gave this book a chance: Falling Kingdoms, by Morgan Rhodes and The Crystal Shard, by R.A. Salvatore.

Hidden gem book: I’m going to echo Red a bit on this one.  Kindred, by Octavia Butler.  Read it.  Also, Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston.

Important moment in your reading life: I think I'm copying Red again... My blog. I love sharing what I'm reading and other bookish and life things with everyone.

Just finished: All the Wrong Questions #1: Who Could It Be At This Hour?, by Lemony Snicket

Kind of books you won't read: I’ll read almost anything.  I tend to steer away from Romance/Erotica, but never say never.

Longest book you read: Goodreads says…. Under the Dome, by Stephen King!  That was my guess too.

Major book hangover because of: Most recently, I would say Their Eyes Were Watching God, maybe Villette, by Charlotte Brontë.

Number of bookcases you own: 5 and they’re bursting at the seams.  I need at least one more, if not two.

One book you've read multiple times: I don’t re-read a lot, but I’m trying to do that more.  The most recent book I've re-read was Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Preferred place to read: Bed or the rocking chair next to the window in the living room.

Quote that inspires you: “The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads." - Dr. Seuss

Reading regret: I get distracted, especially if I'm ereading, because I have a tablet, not a dedicated reader, so I get little notifications and popups talking to me all the time.

Series you started and need to finish: I read too many series and I need to finish more of them.  Probably the two that have lurked the longest are The Legend of Drizzt, by R.A. Salvatore and The Vampire Chronicles, by Anne Rice.

Three of your all-time favorite books: The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood, Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling and Kindred, by Octavia Butler

Unapologetic fangirl for: Stephen King, Margaret Atwood, R.A. Salvatore, Khaled Hoseinni, J.K. Rowling and there are too many to name....

Very excited for this release: I was very excited for Maddaddam, by Margaret Atwood, but I just got my copy yesterday (yay!)  Tied for second, Allegiant, by Veronica Roth and Champion, by Marie Lu.

Worst bookish habit: Allow me to quote Red this time: "Feeling the need to finish a book even if I'm not liking it. I need to learn to let go"

X marks the spot! start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book: The Sweet Hereafter, by Russell Banks.  I've had the book for a LONG time and haven't read it.  It's because I know what happens and I might cry.

Your last bookish purchase: On Saturday I bought Alif the Unseen, by G. Willow Wilson and Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut.

Zzz-snatcher: Most recently I'd say The Cuckoo's Calling.

Wahoo!  I really enjoy doing these things.


2 comments:

  1. Yay! I love seeing everyone doing this survey! And I looove the Seuss quote. Good choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun survey!

      That is one of my favourite quotes.

      Delete