Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Tommy


On Saturday, my Hubby took me to see Tommy in Stratford.  He was very excited to see it.  I was... interested.  I've never seen a play in Stratford.  I knew of Tommy, that it was a famous, well-loved musical that has played everywhere.  I knew it was a "rock opera".  That was it.  I had no idea about the plot, unlike a lot of other musicals I've heard of but haven't seen.  When I asked the Hubby about it, he said it was about a guy who was really good at pinball.  What?  Really? Umm, okay...  But no.  That's not what it's about.  Tommy is so much more.  It begins during World War II.  It progresses through the 1950s.  Tommy is traumatized and then we watch him grow up.  The things that happen to this kid are insane.  The only outlet for him is pinball and he's a pinball wizard, so I suppose that's the part my Hubby thought was enough to tell me.


Tommy is based on an album of the same name by The Who.  It was classified as a rock opera.  The musical's plot is based on the story of the album  It has also been made into a movie. After reading more about Tommy since watching it, I've discovered that the movie made some plot changes from the album and musical.  I don't know if I'd like it the same, but I'd have to see to find out.  I find myself interested in listening to the original album, something I would not have picked up had I never seen the musical.


Tommy is an amazing story.  I'm glad that my Hubby took me to see it.  It doesn't matter if you don't know anything about it, Tommy is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment