Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Spin Will Be Spun Again!

I liked the Classics Club Spin last time, so I'm joining in again.  I find it encourages me to keep at my classics list and helps me not fall behind. The Spin is spinning for the 3rd time.  It's easy to participate.  All you have to do is list 20 books, make sure they're numbered, and on Monday a number will be randomly generated.  Then you have to (try to) read that book by October 1st.

The Club suggests a way to make the Spin more interesting and challenging, by choosing five books for each of these categories: Hesitant, Excited, Neutral, Free Choice - Re-reads, ancients, favourite authors, etc.  I couldn't really get five for each category.  Primarily because though I'm hesitant and excited about some reads, I'm not really neutral about any of them.  So, I decided to make up my own categories.  For my Classics Club list, I didn't choose all novels.  I have a lot of different types of classics, plays, poetry, children's books, etc.  I made up four of my own categories and then chose five titles for each.  Here are my 20 books below.

Novels
1. Alias Grace, by Margaret Atwood
2. Animal Farm, by George Orwell
3. Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
4. The House of Mirth, by Edith Wharton
5. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, by Anne Brontë

Short Stories / Novellas
6. Sherlock Holmes: A Study In Scarlett, by Arthur Conan Doyle
7. The Big and The Little, by Isaac Asimov
8. Dracula's Guest, by Bram Stoker
9. The Weapons Shop, by A.E. van Vogt
10. The Man Who Loved Islands, by D.H. Lawrence

Poetry / Theatre
11. Lyrical Ballads, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge & William Wordsworth
12. Lady Lazarus, by Sylvia Plath
13. Queen Mab, by Percy Bysshe Shelley
14. Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmund Rostand
15. Macbeth, by William Shakespeare

Children’s / Young Adult / Juvenilia
16. Tales of Angria, by Charlotte Brontë
17. Grimm's Fairy Stories, by Jacob Grimm & Wilhelm Grimm
18. The Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum
19. The Cat In The Hat, by Dr. Seuss
20. The Tale of Peter Rabbit, by Beatrix Potter

That's my spin list!  Honestly, I'd be excited to read any of these options, though I'm also hesitant about a few of them.  There's only on re-read on the entire list!  I did not do that on purpose.  I chose each title based on category.  There are some very short options and other very long ones that might be a challenge to read by October 1st.  We'll see what number comes up.


4 comments:

  1. I really should have put more non-novels on my original list. You have such a great variety. Hope you get a great number in the Spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I made the list as I was getting back into reading poetry, so why not include some classic poets and I read a lot to my kids, so classic children's stories were included too.

      Good luck with the spin!

      Delete
  2. We both have Tenant of Wildfell Hall, but as different numbers on our list!
    I'd love to read your thoughts if Tales of Angria is picked, Charlotte Bronte is one of my favourite writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found my copy of Tales of Angria by chance at a charity book sale. I'm excited to read it. But I've never read anything by Anne Brontë, so I'd like to read Wildfell Hall too. We'll see!

      Delete