Friday, August 09, 2013

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel


I loved the novel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.  I was excited to read the graphic novel after I discovered there was one.  I was given it as a gift.... Then, it was left on my shelf to collect dust for, well, two or three years.  Yikes!

In June, a sign-up post went up for Austen in August from The Room Beam Reader.  Austen!?  In August?! The perfect push for me to tackle an Austen novel or two that I haven't read yet and maybe read one of the inspired/reimagined works I have sitting around.  That brought me back to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel. The excitement I had when I first received the book came back to me. I had to restrain myself for over a month from picking it up right away.  Now, I remembered it was there.  I couldn't help but look at it on my shelf. When August finally arrived, I grabbed the book and devoured it.

I can't believe I waited so long to read PPZ: The Graphic Novel.  It was fantastic.  It brought back all the feelings I had when I first read the novel, with the interesting addition of the artwork.  I'm not completely sure how I feel about the art.  The Graphic Novel was done in black and white.  I've never before read a graphic novel that was black and white.  I thought with all the zombies and fighting, some colour would be nice.  I did, however, enjoy the black and white when it came to expressing the emotions of the characters, like Lizzy and Darcy when angry, filled with telling black shading.  Maybe they chose no colour because there would be too much blood or it would come off too gory and lose that Jane Austen "quality".  I'm not sure.  The lack of colour didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book, it was just something I'm left thinking about.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel has put me in two kinds of moods. One, I want to finish the series.  Steve Hockensmith wrote a prequel, which I own and a sequel, which I do not.  I'd love to read the story of how the Bennet sisters received their training and I'd like to know if the zombies were ever vanquished.  The other mood has me looking to pick up my next Austen in August pick, Emma. Though Emma will definitely come before the zombie books, seeing as I think I should read some actual Austen for Austen in August.  If you're looking for a fun, quick spin-off Jane Austen to read, I would definitely recommend trying Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel, especially if you are also a zombie fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment