Saturday, August 03, 2013

The Cuckoo's Calling


The Cuckoo's Calling was fantastic...  I don't have a great track record with mystery novels.  I've read a few and not liked them.  Honestly, the only ones I can recall liking are the books I've read by Agatha Christie and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but I've read others, a couple that were well-reviewed, that bloggers have loved and I haven't liked them.  So, even though I was very excited to read a book by Robert Galbraith, I went into it a bit nervous.

Cormoran Strike, the private detective, was unique, interesting and felt very real.  I loved Robin, assistant extraordinaire.  Even their first meeting was unexpected.  They were fleshed-out characters, not just shells through which we follow the mystery.  Their lives and histories play into how they handle the case.  Everything about the plot, from beginning to end, had me engaged and excited.  I never wanted to put the book down. The end was also a great surprise.  I thought it was one of two other people.  Strike was right, the person who did it was "bat-shit insane".  I'm excited to read more Cormoran Strike novels. I'm glad that this was just the first.  I'm also wondering if the "lucky suit" will make another appearance.

I could keep going on and on about the amazing plot, multi-faceted characters, but I think I'd give away the plot.  The Cuckoo's Calling surpassed my expectations.  I'm glad that I read it and I've already started recommending it to everyone.  

....Of course I know who Robert Galbraith is, I'm just, you know, going with it....

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. I'm excited to read more in the series.

      Delete
  2. I am on the fence about this book, but mostly because I never got around to reading Casual Vacancy. But I keep hearing great things about this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked The Casual Vacancy, but I'll admit it's not for everyone... The Cuckoo's Calling was fantastic. I LOVED Cormoran Strike and Robin is the best assistant EVER. I was hesitant about reading the book, but it was just awesome. I honestly can't wait for the next in the series.

      Delete