Monday, February 14, 2011

Three Things You Should Know About Peggy Paula, By: Lindsay Hunter


1. Peggy Paula needs some help.
2. Something is wrong with her self-esteem.
3. She doesn’t seem to have any [parental] guidance.
(My three things.)

Three Things You Should Know About Peggy Paula comes from the Fifty-Two stories website, first introduced to me by John Mutford, host of this weekly event. It’s a great website filled with interesting short stories. Each week, a new one is posted, showcasing a different author. You may not like every story, but they’re all so different, I think there might be one for everyone.

Three Things You Should Know About Peggy Paula was written by Lindsay Hunter, a writer from Chicago, whose first book was published this past fall. She is also the co-founder of Quickies, a showcase for writers’ very short prose / flash fiction.

Peggy Paula was story 42 from 2010. So, I originally read it a while ago, but because of my real life (ie. morning sickness), I didn’t get to review it in a timely manner. This week, I wanted to restart my participation in Short Story Monday and this story was the first that popped to mind. Lindsay Hunter created a character that stayed with me. It’s a short short story, but Peggy Paula was so vivid, that three months later, I still thought of her. Peggy Paula seems as though she could be based on a real person. Peggy Paula is very much the opposite of who I am; I would never make the choices she makes, it makes me wonder how she got to be the way she is. I was intrigued by the story and will be on the look-out for more work by Lindsay Hunter.

Side Note: I think that is a picture of Lindsay Hunter. I got it from Goodreads.


Short Story Monday is hosted by John Mutford at The Book Mine Set.

2 comments:

  1. Flash fiction can be so much fun. Thanks for sharing this one about poor Peggy Paula.

    I read a classic this week by Graham Greene. It was an awesome short that packed a punch but much longer than 3 lines. It's about 23 pages but is a fast read. http://teddyrose.blogspot.com/2011/02/basement-room-by-graham-greene.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've bookmarked this website and will try to read this story at some stage. I like intriguing stories....

    ReplyDelete